Sunday, October 16, 2011

Peacock Wedding Cake - Mehra and Menna

This 5 tiered wedding cake was for an Indian Wedding held at Marriott Hotel, Bukit Bintang. At first, I was quite reluctant to take this order due to not enough lead time. I need at least 7 days to prepare the peacock feathers and it must be really hardened, otherwise it will be easily broken during assembling.

Mr Raj, the bride's brother-in-law, is a very persistent man. After much deliberations and negotiations, I agreed to take his order. I had barely four days to bake and decorate the cake!!!.

My niece, Ezan, willing to accompany me to the hotel. It was raining when I reached the venue. However, the Marriott's staff was so helpful by allowing me to park my car near the entrance of the hotel, and efficiently delivered the cakes to the banquet area to set up the cake.

I was not satisfied with the table the hotel provided, I met the banquet manager and ask for more stable table. The table was placed on a platform beside the stage. Also the contractors still doing some finishing touches to the stage, it was a bit of a havoc really, still with the sound of hammering here and there. The banquet manager try to convince me to use the table. Quite tiring arguing with him, I just told him off - if the cake stumble down he will be responsible!!!!

It was a nerve wrecking experience while setting up the cake.  My niece helped me to put the peacock feathers one by one. A lot of tissue paper been used to make sure the peacock feathers stick nicely on the cake.  After setting up all the five tier, true enough, the weight of the cake , plus the unstable table,  and a little bit of movement on the floor, the cake started to wobble. Again, I summoned the banquet manager, he looks worried and later his staff tried to put something  under the table to stabilize it. Five strong men needed to lift the table!!. Well, at least there's less wobble.

This five tiered chocolate cake alternate with vanilla cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment